Friday, June 13, 2008

Poetry for All Seasons


I am in a season of loving my parent's as a caretaker and daughter. It is a difficult and emotional journey. I have found that many people have written their feelings and thoughts on this disease of their loved ones in verse. I found this poem written by a man who has Alzheimer's disease.


Far Longer than Forever

Far longer than forever,
Cross the distance we’re apart,
Feelings of warmth and comfort Etched your image in my heart.
Far longer than forever, Beyond the journey’s end,
I’ll think of you with fondness,My special caring friend.
Nothing’s a greater challenge Than the present endeavor,
To remember you past memory Far longer than forever….
Tim Brennan 1997

I also found this interview on NPR of a poet who received a grant to take poetry into senior centers for people with Alzheimers disease. It is not a long interview and is really delightful if you have time to listen.

No comments: