Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Tuesdays can be tough too

Today I woke up with a strong feeling that I should go to a local hospital to check on one of the newer Sudanese families that go to our church, that had a premature baby this past week. They speak very little English and I just wanted to check on them. Both the mother and father greeted me when I went into the room and after a short visit I asked about their departure time. They mentioned that he was there to take her home soon and that the baby would be staying for another month. This will be so hard for this family and as I am processing this I think to ask another question. "Who is watching your other children while you are here? (they have 4 other children, one in school, a six year old and twins who are one year) "No one. They are at home alone." was his response. A six year old watching two very wild and wiggly twin babies. Wow. I told him that in America, it wasn't okay to leave young children alone and that he needed to ask for help in the future, trying not to offend, but also trying to let him know that this was a serious matter. I left ready to quit my job and get all my friends to quit their jobs and all of us go about helping people and fixing their problems. I left overwhelmed for this family and the many others that are a part of our community here at Lake Highlands Church. I left feeling "unable" to take care of all of the needs. As I drove out of the parking lot, with a knot in my gut, God gently reminded me that HE was able to provide and protect. It wasn't my job to save the world. He was on it. I am thankful that He is so Good. This is just one example of the many stories of our International members who have come as refugees. Our International minister, Aaron Roepke will soon have a blog up and coming with a number of life stories of those who have come from other countries and attend our church. I will post it when it is up. Blessings on your day. I am resting in HIM today. Have to. No other place to go.

No comments: